Colt remains in Guineas mix
8 October 2015
The door is still ajar for What’s The Story to push his way through to Riccarton.
Co-trainer Stephen McKee concedes that time is against the impressive debut winner getting to the Gr.1 Sothys NZ 2000 Guineas, but he hasn’t entirely ruled it out either.
“The Guineas is probably too soon, although it will depend on his next start,” he said.
“At this stage it is unlikely, but if he came out and won impressively again then we would have to seriously think about it.”
What’s The Story came off a trial placing to break his maiden in eye-catching style at Ruakaka last week.
“There’s the option of running him next in a rating 65 race, but stepping straight out of a maiden against the older horses isn’t easy so he’ll probably go to the three-year-old race over 1400 metres at Wellington on October 24,” McKee said.
Should What’s The Story make his Trentham trip a successful one, McKee might find the Christchurch option a difficult one to resist.
“If he wins there then we will be thinking more of the 2000 Guineas. Otherwise, there’s options around Christmas time,” he said.
Longer-term, the Gr.1 New Zealand Derby is an obvious target for the colt, who has the background to suggest he will appreciate more ground.
“He’s by Savabeel out of a Carnegie mare so he’s bred for it and he’s got a turn of foot,” McKee said. – NZ Racing Desk.
Recent News
14 February 2026
First Stakes Winner For Banquo
Waikato Stud stallion Banquo was a stakes winner on the track and now he has sired his first stakes winner as Kris Shalier’s Justin Case delivered a dominant performance to pull clear in the G3 …
Read More
13 February 2026
Waikato invest in next generation with Return To Conquer to join its roster
Joining a long legacy of breed-shaping stallions to stand at Waikato Stud, three generations of the Chittick family have placed their confidence in Return To Conquer, with the A$1.3 million yearling and unbeaten Group 1-winning son of the four-time Champion Sire and Champion Two-Year-Old sire, Snitzel, to take his position on the Waikato roster in 2026.
Read More